Recumbent exercise bikes offer what other exercise bikes cannot. Full back support, allowing for relaxation of the upper torso whilst still providing a full and invigorating workout for the lower body and cardiovascular system.
Reduced stress on the joints means a more comfortable workout, which is able to be sustained for longer periods of time. The positioning of the seat on a recumbent exercise bike means that they are easier to mount and dismount than any other exercise bike, which reduces chances of sustaining injury and makes them perfect for people of any experience level, including those just starting out!
So, are you considering getting your own recumbent exercise bike, and you are not sure where to begin? Don’t worry. We have put in the hard work and research to bring you this list of the best recumbent exercise bikes available in 2020.
Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes Reviewed
|Top Pick||Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike|
|Alternative Top Pick||Marcy Regenerating Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-706|
|Best Budget Pick||ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike|
|Best combo model||Slim Cycle 2 in 1 Stationary Bike|
Our Top Pick : Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
Our Top Pick
Schwinn are well known for their top quality exercise machines, and 270 recumbent bike is no exception.
This model blew us away, the smooth operation and comfort provided by the 270 is unlike anything else. Plus it’s jam packed with amazing and unique features which truly make it the best exercise bike out there in 2020.
The sleek and stunning Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is perfect in every way. It’s seat has a sliding rail system which means it’s adaptable for any height and you can find your perfect position. The seat itself is moulded ergonomically to ensure superior comfort. There is a really impressive high speed inertia drive system, especially designed to make starting up that bit easier, and to ensure the smoothest most consistent workouts. The duel track LCD displays are the icing on the cake.
What We Like:
- Bluetooth Connectivity – One of the most amazing and unique features of the 207 is compatibility with Bluetooth! This means that you can sync workouts with the Schwinn training app, and virtually cycle alongside your friends in real time.
- Customisiation & Choice – The 207 allows you complete customisation of your workout, with 29 different programs, and 25 levels of resistance to chose from, you will find the perfect workout for you.
- Media compatibility – Inbuilt speakers allow for you to play your own music whilst working out, and of course, USB charging is provided.
- Luxury – Shwinn have thought of everything. There is even a fully adjustable fan to help keep you cool during those more intense workouts.
Alternative Top Pick : Marcy Regenerating Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-706
Our Alternative Top Pick
The ME-706 stands out from the crowd in that it requires no batteries or outside power source. It is powered entirely through peddling, which means it can be used anywhere, indoors or outdoors without issue. The LCD screen of the ME-706 is larger than most and allows you to track time elapsed, calories burned, distance travelled and current speed. Another fantastic feature of the ME-706 is it’s unique ability to track your heart rate through sensors.
What we like:
- Highest Quality – The frame of the bike is constructed of premium top quality steel. This means it is sturdy, long lasting, and suitable for heavy duty use.
- Comfort & Accessibility – The ME-706 has a fully adjustable seat height and moulded seat padding which provides the ultimate comfortable workout experience. Not only that, but the step through design of the frame means that mounting and dismounting the bike is easier than ever.
- Compact & Easy to Move – The ideal machine for around the home. Takes up relatively little room compared to other competitors, and comes with wheels which allow you to move your machine whenever or wherever you want.
- Customisation – With 23 workout programs and 24 levels of magnetic resistance, you are sure to find the ideal workout that suits you best.
Best Budget Pick : ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike
Our Best Budget Pick
Although a cheaper model, this bike really shines through as exceptional. It has everything you are looking for from a good recumbent bike, plus a few fantastic extras.
Featuring 18 different workout modes, as well as 18 levels of magnetic resistance, the Proform 235 CSX allows you the choice to set the correct level of challenge you need for your workout. The large LCD display helps you to track your time elapsed, distance travelled and calories burned. It also includes front mounted grips which allow you to track your pulse rate at any time.
What we like:
- Convenience – The ProForm 235 CSX offers several convenient features to make your life easier, such as a water bottle holder, step through frame design and front mounted transport wheels.
- Budget friendly – This bike is very well priced in comparison to other recumbent bike models, without sacrificing quality. This claim is backed by the 7 year warranty.
- Comfortable – The Proform 235 CSX provides an oversized and adjustable seat which is cushioned in order to provide the support you need.
Best Combo Model : Slim Cycle 2 in 1 Stationary Bike
Our Best Combo Model
As seen on T.V! This bike is so unique as it offers both upright and recumbent exercise options. Not only that, but it allows for upper body workouts too! The perfect all in one package.
The Slim Cycle 2 in 1 Stationary Bike is fantastic because it can give you an intense full body workout whilst simultaneously improving your resistance training. The modern digital display helps you keep track of your distance, speed and burnt calories, as well as accurately monitoring your heart rate through comfortably placed grips.
The Slim Cycle 2 in 1 offers 8 levels of resistance so that you can make your workout as difficult or as easy as you please. It’s absolutely ideal for those who want to do a short workout each day before neatly folding their bike away and putting it in the closet or under the bed.
What we like:
- Superior Comfort – The incredibly padded memory foam seat allows maximum comfort throughout your workout.
- Variety – The Slim Cycle is incredibly versatile, as it allows you to switch between upright and recumbent exercise positions. Also, it has arm resistance bands built in so that you can tone your arms whilst cycling!
- Compact – Lightweight and able to be folded away, it can be moved and tidied away with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a recumbent exercise bike?
A recumbent exercise bike is a piece of gym equipment which is a stationary bike. However, instead of being in a traditional upright position, it allows the user to sit back in a much more comfortable and more horizontal position. The word recumbent itself means to lie down.
What’s the difference between recumbent and upright exercise bikes?
Simply put, upright exercise bikes but much more strain on the upper torso due to the position. This can make workouts much more intense and sometimes uncomfortable, but some people find this preferable if they are pushing their cardio. Recumbent bikes can also take some strain off the joints, and due to the position of the seat, it makes it easier to mount and dismount, making them preferable to lots of people.
What is resistance and magnetic resistance?
Resistance settings on exercise bicycles allow you to customise the difficulty of the workout. Higher resistance means it’s harder to push the pedals, which means it will require more strength to do so. If you are just starting out, you will require a low resistance setting. Over time your body gets used to it, and you can ramp up the difficulty at your leisure for more of a challenge. Magnetic resistance just means that particular model of bike uses magnets to achieve your desired resistance level. Magnetic resistance is preferable for some because it is silent.
What if I can’t assemble the bike myself?
Most companies offer construction services upon delivery for a small fee.
Other worthy mentions
Tricodale Recumbent Exercise Bike
Allows you to simulate riding on different terrains, as well as smooth and seamless transitions between 8 different levels of resistance.
Bluetooth integrated technology makes it easy for you to track your workouts on the free Tricodale app on your tablet or smartphone.
3G Cardio Elite RB Recumbent Bike
This machine is manufactured to incredibly high quality and comes with lifetime frame warranty.
Some of it’s best features include a pair of handheld heart rate sensors, including a wireless heart rate strap. The pedals are ergonomically designed with a narrow Q factor distance.
The seat is able to smoothly slide to comfortably accommodate users of varying heights.