So tons of different techniques and new methods of training have been popping up all over the world recently.
With newer generations learning from the previous and pushing the boundary of the sport further and further its time to talk about one of the training methods used to do so.
So resistance training is exactly as it sounds, pulling or pushing against something that has some resistance, simple right?
The benefit of using elasticated resistance bands is that they are very small, lightweight and can travel anywhere. With the right set of knowledge, these bands can become a must-have training tool.
Not only do they help build strength and endurance it can also be used to help increase your flexibility which is a must for climbers or even helps rehabilitation after an injury. Not every problem you face can be climbed by pure power alone.
Upowex Resistance Bands
So this one is our favorite of the group, It comes in a pack of 4 which means you have all different strengths available to you from the start. This is perfect when just starting out.
Starting with a low strength band you can work your way through as needed or use the different strength bands to target your weaknesses.
I have seen multiple people mentioning that paid the same price for 1 band of the same quality at local sports stores, So be careful and check online prices before purchasing bands instore.
The bands come in 4 different strengths which are
- Red Band (15 – 35 lbs) – 81.9 inches Long X 0.5 inches Wide
- Black Band (25 – 65 lbs) – 81.9 inches Long X 0.9 Inches Wide
- Purple Band (35 – 85 lbs) – 81.9 inches Long X 1.3 Inches Wide
- Green Band (50 – 125 lbs) – 81.9 inches Long X 1.7 Inches Wide
One of the cooler things about the Upowex bands is they come with a lifetime guarantee which is something you don’t see very often anymore.
Granted its pretty unlikely that you will ever break one of these bands even if you tried. But it’s still nice to know its there regardless.
The Super Exercise Band
So the Super Exercise band might not be of great value like the Upowex but what it does offer is a bit more variety.
This band has a much lower entry point which means even if you’re not as strong as your climbing heroes you can at least start somewhere.
- EXTRA LIGHT STRENGTH YELLOW BAND provides 1 – 4 lbs. tension
- LIGHT STRENGTH GREEN BAND provides 3 – 6 lbs. tension
- LIGHT+ STRENGTH ORANGE BAND provides 4 – 7 lbs. tension
- MEDIUM STRENGTH BLUE BAND provides 6 – 9 lbs. tension.
- MEDIUM+ STRENGTH SKY BLUE BAND provides 7 – 10 lbs. tension.
- HEAVY STRENGTH PURPLE BAND provides 10 – 13 lbs. tension.
- HEAVY+ STRENGTH FUCHSIA PINK BAND provides 11 – 14 lbs. tension.
- X HEAVY STRENGTH BLACK BAND provides 13 – 17 lbs. tension.
- XX HEAVY STRENGTH GRAY BAND provides 16 – 22 lbs. tension.
- XXX HEAVY STRENGTH RED BAND provides 19 – 26 lbs. tension.
Each band is 7 foot long which gives you some different workout options, unlike the Upowex these are not looped which can lead to different workout routines so it might be worth researching some exercises beforehand so you know what type you will want.
We recommend bands from this set for beginners or older climbers as they provide a much easier starting point.
Fit Simplify Resistance Bands – The Ones To Avoid!
Like always there is one product out there that seems extremely popular and sounds great!
But you always know its too good to be true and its the same with these bands. They are pretty cheap and flimsy with most users noting they rip after the first couple of sessions.
Make sure you save yourself all of the hassle and money and avoid these bands!
Gerald Blackburn says
I need some resistance bands, that I can make custom, and can apply hooks and straps?
Is this available ?
James Anderson says
There are some like this one from RitFit that actually let you swap out those cords, or even use more than one at once to customize your resistance level right down to where you want it.
The extra wide handles on that one are a godsend. The triangle shape of most tend to squeeze your hands if you have large hands like I do.
This kind of thing is your best bet for what you’re looking for really.
Thanks for commenting,